Record Details

NHER Number:12123
Type of record:Building
Name:The Priory, Church Road


This building, which was much altered around 1970, appears to be an early 17th century brick house. However, it probably becan life as a T-plan timber-framed hall house around 1500. This open hall has a crownpost roof and has a parlour and chamber with ornate beams to the south. The parlour block has since been extended and clad in brick, and the hall floored over and also bricked. Both these alterations occurred in the 16th century but at different dates, and later a cellar and porch with brick vaulting was also added. It was Georgianised around 1810, and repaired in the late 19th century. The original late medieval building was probably constructed as a grange for nearby Castleacre Priory.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 5999 1145
Map Sheet:TF51SE

Full description

Probably began as a grange, manor or rectory of Castleacre Priory on adjacent site NHER 20654.
Present building much altered around 1970.
RCHME survey before 1975 suggests north crossing is oldest section but no evidence survives. Main block has crownpost roof of around 1500 and formed open hall with parlour and chamber with ornate beams to south. Parlour block extended and clad in brick; hall floored over and also bricked; both in 16th century but at different dates perhaps not widely separated. Cellar and porch with brick vaulting also added.
Georgianised around 1810 and repaired late 19th century.
See full report in file together with copies of RCHME notes and photos.
E. Rose (NLA), 30 July 1993.

September 2007.
Excavations by owner confirmed presence of demolished southwest wing which seems to have been a 16th century underground room, to which a superstructure was added at a later date.
Addition to (S3) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 27 September 2007.

Monument Types

  • GRANGE (Medieval to Modern - 1500 AD? to 2050 AD?)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Medieval to Modern - 1500 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • HALL HOUSE (Medieval to Modern - 1500 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • MANOR (Medieval to Modern - 1500 AD? to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds

  • PISCINA (Undated)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: GSX 4-9.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 51 SE 6.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Unpublished Document: 1993. Architectural plans.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 778-779.
---Photograph: Photographs of The Priory, Church Road, Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalen. Black & white.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1992. Old Priory is full of great features. 11 August.
<S1>Serial: Bryant, T. H.. 1898-1915. The Churches of Norfolk. Vols 1-19. Vols 1-19..
<S2>Publication: Mercer, E.. 1975. English Vernacular Houses. p.190. p 190.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Rose., E. (NLA). 1993. Building Report.. Building Report. July 30.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service