Record Details

NHER Number:10846
Type of record:Building
Name:Kenninghall Place or Palace

Summary

The palace was erected by the Duke of Norfolk between 1505 and 1524 to replace East Hall (NHER 1049). Most of the H-shaped building was demolished in 1650 but one wing remains. A resistivity survey was carried out in 1992 to try to locate other parts of the house. Other farm buildings include a cartlodge and granary, stables, shelter and dairy.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 0689 8558
Map Sheet:TM08NE
Parish:KENNINGHALL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Listed Grade II*
Wing of palace of around 1520, converted and remainder demolished around 1650.
For full details see (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 1 October 1981.

Description of Barn:
Part of outbuildings of Kenninghall "Place" about 36 yards long by 8 yards wide. Timber framed, with brick between, at the north and south ends. Also at he north end of the east side. The remainder is boarded. There is a brick course below, all round. The interior consists of 9 bays of about 4 yards each. The entire roof is of oak with large tie-beams having brackets below and with wind-braces supporting the purlins between the principals. The struts or posts which rise from the tie-beams are in many cases nicely moulded on the inner sides. The date of this building is of the first quarter of the 16th century.
Never scheduled.
Information from (S2).
H. Mellor (HES), 19 July 2018.

The palace was erected by the Duke of Norfolk between 1505 and 1524 to replace East Hall (NHER 1049). Most of the H-shaped building was demolished in 1650 but one wing remains. A resistivity survey was carried out in 1992 to try to locate other parts of the house. Other farmbuildings include a cartlodge and granary, stables, shelter and dairy.
M. Dennis (NLA), 18 April 2006.

Monument Types

  • ARCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • OVEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • BOWL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • BUTTON (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CEREMONIAL OBJECT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CLOTHING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SHOE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TM 0685E,F.
---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TM 0685J - Q.
---Unpublished Document: UEA. 1987. UEA Historic Farm Building Survey..
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 08 NE 2 [2].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Correspondence: Cott, P.. 1992. Letter. Kenninghall Palace Resistivity Survey. 6 August.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 451.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Kenninghall.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Photograph: BZC 15-20, BZM 1-5, EGK 11-15 (trench).
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1981. Building Report. Building Report.
<S2>Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. NHER10846.

Related records

10903Part of: Chapmans Entry, an entrance for Kenninghall Palace (Monument)
19689Related to: Medieval or post medieval park pale (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service