Record Details

NHER Number:10823
Type of record:Building
Name:St Mary's Church


This round-towered church dates mostly to around 1300 although there are 14th-15th century alterations. The northeast window is a much more recent addition, having arrived here from St Michael's, Southwark, in 1940. Several interesting 19th century gravestones can be observed in the churchyard.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 0191 8935
Map Sheet:TM08NW

Full description

Round tower. Mostly dating to around 1300, with 14th-15th century additions.
See report and newspaper cutting (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 9 June 1980.

July 1958. Listed, Grade II*.
Listing Description:
Parish church, Flint with ashlar dressings. Nave roof slate, chancel plain tiled. West tower C12, nave and demolished south aisle very late C13, altered C15, chancel late C13 altered C15, church restored 1885 and additional restoration of tower 1950-51. 2 stage round tower. One square light to west, 3 arched splayed lights to ringing chamber. String course below Y traceried 2-light belfry windows, some without mullions and blocked with brick. Crenellated parapet rebuilt in brick and flint. South aisle demolished c.1740 leaving remains of east and west window jambs. South aisle door re-set into blocked west arcade bay : 2 orders of sunk quadrants. Arcades blocked to capitals C18 with brick and glazed in arch with leaded lights. Parapet between nave and chancel. 2 C19 2-light panel traceried south chancel windows above string course which rises, square, over arched Priest's door. Diagonal east buttresses frame 3-light Perpendicular east window of 1870. North side windows all C19 2-light to chancel, 3-light to nave, 2 flat north nave buttresses. C15 gabled north porch of knapped flint to north face, coursed flint east and west. 2 fleuron trails to jambs and arch, the former divided by column with leaf capitals. Blocked statuary niche over door. Interior. 4 bay arcade to south of quatrefoil piers and moulded capitals under arches of sunk quadrants, hollows and rolls. North porch now vestry with inner door late C14 : jambs hollow and wave moulded separated by wide casement containing relief reticulation trail. Plain octagonal font with grotesque heads under bowl. Low pointed tower arch below Royal Arms of George II. Pews and roof 1885, the latter with moulded tie beams, wall plate, collars and 2 tiers staggered butt purlins. Rood beam and cross with Christ and S.S. Mary and John 1959. Chancel arch has fleurons and double wave mouldings and blind tracery panels right and left, all C15. Chancel roof 1885 : 2 tiers butt purlins and arched collars. Monument to Samuel Bircham 1732 on north chancel wall beside blocked window and door arch. Fine late C13 double piscina of 2 moulded arches on columns with square hood containing trefoil spandrel figures. Early C17 pulpit panelled with flower scroll below top rail, which is supported on carved brackets.
See (S2).
H. Mellor (HES), 26 April 2016.

Monument Types

  • ROUND TOWERED CHURCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WALL PAINTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TM 0189C,D.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TM 0189E - J.
---Unpublished Document: Cattermole, P.. 2000. Inventory of church bells and bell-frames in Norfolk.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 327.
---Leaflet: St Mary the Virgin, Eccles and All Saints', Wilby..
---Monograph: Hart, S.. 2010. Medieval Church Window Tracery in England. pp 57, 76, 87.
---Leaflet: 1959. A guide to St. Mary the Virgin, Eccles..
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Photograph: BPD 20A.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. Restoration in a belfry. 26 November.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077510.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service