Record Details

NHER Number:10777
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Gawdy Hall


Gawdy Hall was built before 1568, as a three-sided court inside a moat, with a chapel in the north wing. In 1688 the north arm of the moat was filled in, and the house extended. Restoration work took place in 1878, during which some objects were recovered, however in 1938 to 1939 the house was demolished and all that remains is the platform of the hall, a Victorian courtyard of outbuildings, and the original stable block which is now converted into houses. The park and gardens survive, and are listed under NHER 30501.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 24843 85489
Map Sheet:TM28NW

Full description

Site of Gawdy Hall pre 1568 to 1939.
Stable block and part of moat survives.
For full details see (S1) in secondary file.
E. Rose (NAU), 15 October 1982.

H. Paterson (A&E) unable to visit site as duck shooting taking place. Agent says 'lake' will continue as an ornamental feature used for wildfowl. No change anticipated.
H. Paterson (A&E), 13 January 2005.

November 2012
According to (S2) Gawdy Hall was constructed around 1570, following the demolition of an '.. ancient mansion called Holbrook…'. The earlier building referred to here is likely to have been the nearby moated site of Holbrook Hall (NHER 11064).
P. Watkins (HES)

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • MOAT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SITE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SITE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • BOOK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CLOCK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SPOON (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TM2485 A-C,D-H.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 28 NW 1.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 610.
---Article in Serial: 1945. A timber shooting-box.. Country Life. 13 April, p 1.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Edenhall with Harleston.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1982. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Article in Serial: Millican, P. 1938. The Gawdys of Norfolk and Suffolk, Part I. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXVI Pt III pp 335-390. p 346.

Related records

30501Parent of: Gawdy Hall Park and Garden (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service