|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Mary's Church, Tasburgh|
This church has a Late Saxon round tower with traces of blind arcading. Otherwise it is mostly of 15th century date, with Perpendicular windows. However, some of the modern exterior owes its appearance to Victorian restorations. Inside, there is a 15th century font with a Jacobean cover, poppy-headed benches and 17th century stained glass and memorials. Various prehistoric flints and sherds of Saxon, medieval and post medieval pottery have been found in the churchyard.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 2011 9588|
|Parish:||TASBURGH, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Late Saxon round tower; transitional doorway; otherwise 15th century, Victorianised.
Early Saxon, Middle Saxon and early medieval sherds found in building extension. Held by NCM.
Late Saxon and post medieval sherds and worked flint also.
For full details see file.
E. Rose (NAU) 4 September 1980.
- CHURCH (Late Saxon to Medieval - 851 AD to 1539 AD)
- SITE (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- WINDOW (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- NAIL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- STAINED GLASS (WINDOW) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: RA 6, BMR 14-23. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: TM 2095A,B. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TM 2026V-AE. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TM 2096R - U. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 29 NW 29. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 692. |
|---||Article in Serial: Ashley, S., Penn, K. & Rogerson, A.. 2011. Rhineland Lava in Norfolk Churches. Church Archaeology. vol 13, pp 27-33. p 31. |
|---||Leaflet: St. Mary's Church Tasburgh. |
|---||Photograph: Photograph of St Mary's Church tower, Tasburgh. Black & white. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Late Saxon. Tasburgh. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
Related records - none
Find out more...