|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Bronze Age barrow group, Tuttington Common|
This group of Bronze Age barrows was excavated in 1808 when burnt bones and ashes were recovered from an old ground surface. A Bronze Age copper alloy looped palstave was found nearby in 1885. One of these barrows has been used later as a parish boundary marker.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2192 2741|
|Parish:||AYLSHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
|BURGH AND TUTTINGTON, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Marked on (S1).
A few barrows of 18m (20yds) diameter and two only of 11m (12yds), all opened 1808 by J. A. Repton. Only a few burnt bones and ashes all on old ground surface. A. Q. Watson notes one barrow at southeast corner Tuttington Plantation about 18m (20yds) diameter, height 1.5m (5ft), dug - boundary mark of old parishes of Aylsham, Tuttington, and Burgh. See (S2), (S3) and (S4).
Copper alloy palstave with long loop found near barrow at junction of this parish (Tuttington) and Aylsham and Burgh (S5). Brassy appearance. (S6) claims this was found with urns.
See (S7) and (S8).
NGR corrected from original NGR .
M. Horlock (NLA), 7 January 2003.
- CREMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- PALSTAVE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
Sources and further reading
|---||Illustration: B. Brown. Drawing of a Bronze Age Palstave. Find Illustration. Paper. 1:1. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 22 NW 4. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Bronze Age. Tuttington . |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Woodward, S. 1831. A descriptive Outline of the Roman remains in Norfolk, by Samuel Woodward, Esq., in a Letter to Hudson Gurney, esq. V.P., F.R.S., accompanied by a Map of the County. Archaeologia. Vol XXIII pp 358-373. pp 370-372. |
|<S3>||Article in Serial: Repton, J.A.. 1812. An account of the opening of a great barrow at Stow Heath, near Aylsham, in Norfolk, in July, 1808. Archaeologia. Vol XVI, pp 354-355. |
|<S4>||Article in Serial: Clarke, W. G. 1913. Norfolk Barrows. The Antiquary. Vol XLIX pp 416-423. p 423. |
|<S5>||Publication: White. 1890. Norfolk. p.860. p 860. |
|<S6>||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1905. Hundred of South Erpingham. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XIV. p 385. |
|<S7>||Archive: British Museum. 1913 onwards. Bronze Age Index. |
|<S8>||Illustration: Finds Illustrations. |
Related records - none
Find out more...