Record Details

NHER Number:7317
Type of record:Building
Name:St Peter's Church, Mattishall Burgh

Summary

The north door is the earliest part of this church which mostly dates to the 14th century but may have been remodelled around an earlier building. The tower has an unusual stair turret that is only two storeys high. There is also a rare surviving sanctus bell turret on the nave east gable. Inside is a barrel organ.

Images

  • St Peter's Church, Mattishall  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0565 1176
Map Sheet:TG01SE
Parish:MATTISHALL BURGH, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK
MATTISHALL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

1 February 1978. Visit.
North door perhaps oldest part, very simple and pointed, 13th century?
Also round piscina in south porch. Decorated tower with ogee bell openings and odd stair turret only two storeys high. Decorated nave and chancel, north transcept with two arches to nave. Ogee piscina in east wall. South porch later rebuilding, with Decorated entrance reset, blocked niche over, and blocked window. Sanctus bellcote on nave east gable. Interior inaccessible at time of visit; (S1) says roofs are single-framed with collars at intervals, and wind-braces in chancel; octagonal Purbeck marble font; Decorated screen; barrel organ; chalice and paten 1567. A recently dug drainage trench around the walls had revealed nothing of interest.
E. Rose (NAU), 1 February 1978.

For barrel organ see (S2) in file, organ formerly at Hockering church.
E. Rose (NAU).

Details of trench by R. Rickett (NAU) and press cutting in file.

1970s or 80s. Alan Carter Norwich Survey.
See (S3), which includes (S4).
T.E. Miller (NLA), 19 April 2006.

8 October 1999. Drains and soaking pits observed.
Two pits near entrance at southwest corner of churchyard, one pit south of channel, and one north of northeast corner of channel. Natural gravelly sand at 0.9m in latter, otherwise all topsoil/grave-fill down to depth of 1m.
One medieval body sherd spoil south of nave.
One medieval or earlier body sherd spoil north of northeast corner of channel.
South side of junction of nave and channel and buttress (?post medieval) projects 725mm from wall and is 240mm wide. Below this and apparently unrelated a mortared flint foundation or footing is 360mm wider to west and 900mm longer to south (not exposed to the east). Below this, and down to a depth of 300mm from ground level a layer of hard mortar, 210mm wider still to west and projecting at least 800mm south from the nave wall, was observed. Either a much larger buttress or rood stair.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 14 October 1999.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ROOD SCREEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Unpublished Document: Rickett, R. and Rickett, S.. 1978. St Peter's Church, Mattishall Burgh. 31 March.
---Website: Knott, S.. 2006. St Peter, Mattishall Burgh. http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/mattishallburgh/mattishallburgh.htm.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 537.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. pp 254-255.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. Turn the handle and praise the Lord. 19 January.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Carter, A.. Building Survey.
<S4>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service