|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of a post medieval watermill and mill pond|
An 18th century watermill survived as a standing building until it was demolished in 1980 following a fire. It was powered by water from a long mill pond which survives as an earthwork and is visible on aerial photographs and historic maps. Drainage ditches to the north of the mill pond (NHER 38966) might be associated features. A new building was built on the site of the watermill in the early 1980s.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2859 3684|
|Parish:||GIMINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
March 1978. Visit.
Simple 18th century brick and pantile building set over river beside road, with long mill pond to southeast. Still in use.
E. Rose (NAU), 14 March 1978.
April 1981. Visit.
Demolished to foundations.
E. Rose (NAU), 29 April 1981.
Demolition took place in 1980 after a fire. The building was of four storeys but two of these were sunk below ground.
Information from North Norfolk District Council.
E. Rose (NAU), 12 May 1981.
December 1985. Seen only in passing.
New building on site; large engine (apparently diesel but quite possibly steam) preserved under canopy outside.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 December 1985.
September 1999. Visit.
The new building is dated 1981. The engine is in fact steam, a Crossley with makers plates etc. but no visible date; it is preserved under a roof as a village sign.
E. Rose (NLA), 2 September 1999.
The engine is described in (S1).
It has always stood outside and was originally made for the Crisp Maltings at East Dereham. It was moved from there in 1937 and was intended to go to Wymondham but came here instead.
E. Rose (NLA), 22 January 2002.
November 2004. Norfolk NMP.
The mill pond described above is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs taken between 1946 and 1988 (for example, (S2)). This was fed by Mundesley Beck. It is depicted on historic maps ((S3) and (S4)) and consequently has not been mapped. It follows a zigzagging course between approximately TG 2835 3679 and TG 2865 3691. Drainage ditches to the north of the mill pond (NHER 38966) might be associated features.
S. Tremlett (NMP), 9 November 2004.
- MILL POND (17th Century to 21st Century - 1700 AD to 2100 AD)
- WATERMILL (17th Century to Late 20th Century - 1700 AD to 1980 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Unpublished Document: Yardley, C. J. 2011. The Mun Valley: Historic landscape Assessment and Landscape Character Assessment for Norfolk Coast Project. p 14. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Smith, G. and Smith, J.. 2001. The Village of Gimingham.. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Journal. Vol 7, No 1, pp 44-52. pp 47-50. |
|<S2>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1968. OS/68083 010-1 25-APR-1968 (NMR). |
|<S3>||Map: James Wright. 1839. Gimingham Tithe Map (NRO DN/TA 294)
). 3 chains: 1inch. |
|<S4>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902 to 1907. Ordnance Survey second edition 25 inch (1902 to 1907) Sheet XX. 6. |
Related records - none
Find out more...