|Type of record:||Building|
This watermill is marked on Faden's map of Norfolk made in 1797. It has six bays and three storeys. The dormer windows are Georgian.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1492 3056|
|Parish:||ITTERINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
May 1978. Visit.
Six bays, two storeys, red brick. Later dormers Georgian.
E. Rose (NAU), 11 May 1978.
Marked on (S1).
E. Rose (NAU).
There has been a watermill marked in Itteringham since the Domesday survey in the 11th century (S2). It is suggested that the present mill was constructed around 1788. The mill stopped working around 1920. During WWII the building was used as an officers mess hall for RAF Matlaske. The mill is noted in Walpole estate records from 1838 and in White's and Kelly's directories (S3 and S4) from 1864 to 1937. Although milling stopped after 1925, subsequent owners carried on dealing in corn and flour up to 1937.
Information from NIAS records (S5).
W. Arnold (HES), 4 January 2011.
- MILL (Medieval to Early 20th Century - 1086 AD? to 1925 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1991. [Sale advertisement for Itteringham Mill]. 20 September. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Vaughan-Lewis, W. & M.. 2010. Good Neighbours: Itteringham, Norfolk in the 18th century. pp 112-115. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Publication: Brown, P (ed.). 1984. Domesday Book: Norfolk. Parts 1 and 2. |
|<S3>||Directory: White, W.. 1845. White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk. |
|<S4>||Directory: Kelly, E.. Kelly's Directory of Norfolk.. |
|<S5>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
Related records - none
Find out more...