Record Details

NHER Number:44205
Type of record:Monument
Name:Maideston deserted medieval village


The site of the deserted medieval village of Maideston is recorded in old documents. Earthworks at the site may mark its location, although they might result from cleaning modern drains.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 24840 21598
Map Sheet:TG22SW

Full description

Site of deserted medieval village of Maideston.
Mentioned in Domesday Book. Bodleian charters contain complaints of inhabitants petitioning against seizure of their lands.
Information from R.R. Clarke (NCM). Date of charter not given.
Previously recorded under NHER 7649.

1983. Earthwork Survey.
Survey of moat and surrounding earthwork features by NARG.
See report (S1)/(S2) plan for further details.
P. Watkins (HES), 2 March 2015.

May 1984. Visit.
Little if anything is visible of the village site. There are a few humps and bumps in the field between the hall and the road, and to the east, but these form no logical pattern and could easily be overgrown spoil from cleaning drains.
E. Rose (NAU), May 1984.

Possible moat surrounding Little Hautbois Hall (HER 7663) recorded in National Monuments Record/Selected National Heritage Dataset and shown on Ordnance Survey map (S3).
D. Robertson (NLA), 5 May 2009.

Monument Types

  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Article in Serial: Dollin, B. 1984. Horstead with Stanninghall. Mayton Hall. Medieval Moated Sites Research Group Annual Report. No 11 pp 17-18. pp 17-18.
<S2>Unpublished Report: Dollin, B. 1983. Horstead with Stanninghall - Mayton Hall. NARG Earthwork Survey Report.
<S3>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1995. Ordnance Survey Digital Maps - Landline Edition 1995.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service