Record Details

NHER Number:43065
Type of record:Building
Name:The Red House


This early 18th century brick farmhouse is a single range in three bays. There are two storeys with an attic and a cellar. There is a plaque on the left hand side to Samuel Fowles, head keeper of the Hempstead Estate, who died in 1906.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 10229 38220
Map Sheet:TG13NW

Full description

February 1987. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Farmhouse, early 18th century, brick with patterned headers, plain tiles to front, pantiles to rear. Single range, three bays. Two storeys with attic and cellar. Gable end stacks with rebuilt shafts. Plinth with flint at base, platband, dentil cornice. Symmetrical facade: central doorway has porch with Tuscan entablature supported by two columns with upper part fluted, lower part smooth; five cross windows in pairs to bays one and three to ground and first floor, some with original leaded panes, fittings and pintle hinges, those to ground floor in reset openings. Plaque on left hand side to Samuel Fowles, d.1906, head keeper of the Hempstead Estate. Both gables with parapets, tumbled brickwork and eaves platband. Continuous outshut at rear, raised to 1½ storeys, with fenestration of 1980's.
Information from (S1).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 31 January 2006.

Monument Types

  • FARMHOUSE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1700 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 545.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1373806.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service