Record Details

NHER Number:4719
Type of record:Building
Name:St Nicholas' Church, Ashill

Summary

A medieval parish church, built in a mixture of styles including Early English. A stone-framed rectangular opening in the chancel may also be of Early English date, but has been blocked at a later date. The nave roof is dated 1618. The church was restored in the 19th century.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 8840 0419
Map Sheet:TF80SE
Parish:ASHILL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Some Early English work. Mostly Decorated and Perpendicular. Renewed 1806 and 1867.
See file, (S1) and (S2).

June 1960. Listed, Grade I.
Listing Description:
Parish church. Medieval and later. Flint with ashlar and some brick dressings. Slate and copper roofs. West tower; nave with south aisle and south porch; chancel with vestry to north. Early 14th century west tower with diagonal buttresses. Ogee headed west door with 5 orders of mouldings. A 3-light Decorated window above with reticulated motif of soufflet with dagger and mouchettes. Three single light cusped windows to second floor and 2-light cusped Y-traceried bell-openings. Crenellated parapet. 15th century 2-storey porch with diagonal buttresses of arrowhead section. Moulded entrance arch with a small cusped niche and a 3-light window above. 2-light side windows. 19th century south doorway. Aisle with 5 3-light panel-traceried windows the 3 easternmost with highly elaborate carved transoms. 6 2-light clearstorey windows with mouchettes. North wall with a blocked early 14th century doorway and 3 large 3-light Perpendicular windows. Chancel with one 2-light cusped Y-traceried window, an early 14th century 2-light Y-traceried window with pointed trefoils and a priest's door to the south. Renovated 3-light east window in 14th century style. Interior. 6-bay south arcade with a further narrow bay to the east. Octagonal piers supporting arches of 2 plain-chamfered orders. Massive 14th century tower arch with filletted semicircular responds supporting a wave-moulded arch of 2 and 3 orders. Chancel arch of 2 hollow-chamfered orders supported on polygonal responds. Simple arched piscina in south aisle. Chancel with angle piscina of 2 trefoil arches and a colonnette. Scoinson arches to chancel windows: on a pair of narrow shafts to the east. 19th century arcading on east wall with inset encaustic tiles. 19th century chancel screen incorporating fragments of a Medieval screen.
Information from (S3).

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ROOD SCREEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • Xbell frame (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1898. Hundred of Wayland. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol I. pp 30-35.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. PCC plan to remove pews. 10 April.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 182.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1999. [Photographs of St George's Church, Saham Toney and St Nicholas' Church, Ashill]. 22 July.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1995. Church bell revamps. 17 November.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1995. [Articles on the proposed removal of the pews at St Nicholas' Church, Ashill].
---Newspaper Article: 1995. Church split over plan to replace pews. 12 December.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1989-1995. [Articles on the bells at St Nicholas' Church, Ashill].
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2014. Car hits village memorial on the eve of centenary. 2 August.
<S1>Article in Serial: Fawcett, R. 1980. A Group of Churches by the Architect of Great Walsingham. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXVII Pt III pp 292-294. pp 282-283.
<S2>Serial: 1819. Excursions through Norfolk.
<S3>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1342618.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service