Record Details

NHER Number:34727
Type of record:Building
Name:Swaffham Corn Exchange


This Corn Exchange was constructed in 1858, probably by the local builder Matthias Goggs, a year after he finished the Dereham Corn Hall. The ground floor is known to have had a reading room, library and billiard room. The building itself is of red brick with gault brick dressings and a slate roof, and set out in a two by four bay block with each bay defined by giant arched recesses on pilasters with minimal capitals.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8196 0900
Map Sheet:TF80NW

Full description

January 1973. Listed, Grade II.
1858 by Matthias Goggs. Red brick with gault brick dressings, slate roof. Rectangular two by four bay block, each bay defined by giant arched recesses on pilasters with minimal capitals. Two light stone mullioned ground floor casements under segmental heads. Two light arched upper casements, the mullions with foliate capitals. Pounched triangular inserts between wall arches. Saw toothed cornice. Roundel under gables with sheaf of corn.
Now converted to offices.
Information from (S1).
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 3 November 1999.

Monument Types

  • CORN EXCHANGE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1858 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 681.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. Coffee shop plan for old Corn Hall. 30 November.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1269617.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service