|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Belmont House|
This is the site of a post medieval great house. It was built in the late 18th century and was demolished by 1826. All that survives above ground is a large mound with fragments of walls protruding from it.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7435 2504|
|Parish:||HILLINGTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
17 September 1933. Visited.
Traces of foundations and large spoil heaps. Apparently a square structure of faced flint and ?sandstone - with annexe of chalk lump. Much overgrown.
House erected about 150 years back (i.e. 1783) 'by member of Belmont family'.
Marked on (S1). Deliberately dismantled since.
Marked as Belle Mount on (S2).
Information from R. R. Clarke's notes on NCM map (S3).
Not Belmont family, but probably Ffolkes family.
Later correction by R. R. Clarke (NCM).
All of Belmont ring now ploughed, though tree belt edging it remains.
Only one large mound, covered with young trees, remains on house site, with small iron shed. Small fragments of walls protrude from mound, composed of greensand blocks, but no plan or details visible.
In ploughed field are pieces of post medieval brick, squared flint blocks, glazed pantile and animal bone.
Site commands extensive views.
Informant  states his grandfather as a boy was taken to visit an elderly widow who lived here as a recluse; believed house dismantled on her death.
E. Rose (NAU), 17 April 1985.
Bryant's map 1826 (S1) has 'Ruins of Belmont', so dismantled some time between 1797 and 1826.
E. Rose (NLA), 6 August 2001.
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (18th Century to 19th Century - 1783 AD to 1826 AD)
- HOUSE (18th Century to 19th Century - 1783 AD to 1826 AD)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Hillington. |
|<S1>||Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
|<S2>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S3>||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
Related records - none
Find out more...