|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Mary's Church, Flitcham|
A medieval parish church, which dates back to the late 11th century. Late Saxon or Norman features include a window in the tower, Norman windows in the nave and Norman arcading. The chancel of the church has gone, and is visible only as an earthwork platform. The church was extended in the 15th century and extensively restored in the late 19th century.
Images - none
August 1960. Listed, Grade II*.
Parish church, Cll and C14, restored 1881. Uncoursed flint with stone dressings, slate roof. Central tower, nave, south aisle and porch, ruined south chapel; chancel lost. 3 stage square tower with some Sandringham sandstone, carstone, Roman tiles and erratics, carstone quoins; steep pitched roof line to east and south, inserted 3-light east window with intersecting tracery and plain leaded lights with intersecting tracery, above a triangular headed blocked wide lancet; small lancet inserted 1901 to north face; 2nd stage with flush carstone arcade of 3 semi-circular headed blank arches to each face, below arcade to south within gable of former roof a narrow semi-circular headed window with carstone dressings; C14 recessed bell stage with stone dressings embattled parapet with string course below having 2 gargoyles to east, one each to north and south, 2-light bell openings with reticulated tracery. Nave with hollow chamfered stone cornice, stone kneelers to west having 3 pomegranates; clerestorey to south of 4 double lancets of 1881, south aisle with west kneeler as nave, 3-light west window of 1881 with central light lower under large quatrefoil, angle buttress to west, 3 Y tracery openings to south of 1881, buttresses between. South porch with diagonal buttresses and kneelers as nave; arch with slender shafts moulded above capitals, small trefoil headed niche over, arch within blocked archway having voussoirs of alternate brick and flint; returns with double trefoil headed ogee lights under square head; boarded roof of 1881, head corbels at angles for former roof, shelly limestone side benches, south doorway renewed of plain chamfered arch with hood mould. North nave with some Sandringham sandstone, 2 stepped buttresses, doorway as south; three windows of 1881 within larger blocked openings, the central window as to west of south aisle, those on either side of 3 lights with intersecting tracery. West facade with stone plinth, Sandringham sandstone and carstone in base, west window of 1881 of 4 lights having intersecting tracery above, 2 semi-circular headed lancets in gable. Early C14 roofless ruined chapel to south of tower, slender Y tracery to south having scratch dial in left jamb, wide diagonal buttresses. Interior: 4 bay arcade to south with double chamfered arches and piers of clustered polygonal shafts, waggon roof of 1881 with bosses. Central tower acts as chancel, Cll semi-circular arch to chancel with carstone dressings and imposts (renewed with stone), wide piscina to north with semi-circular arch having roll moulding, remains of blocked semi-circular arch to south having inserted door to C19 vestry. Octagonal black marble font in Early English style c.1880 from church of St. Mary Magdelene Sandringham q.v. 2/47, stiff-leaf bases to cusps of arcade arches to lower bowl, polygonal C19 font cover with crockets.
Information from (S1).
H. Mellor (HES), 26 June 2017.
Interesting Saxon and Norman church containing Roman tiles, chancel now demolished, nave altered in 14th, 15th and 19th centuries.
Ruined transeptal chapel. A 1933 excavation revealed the altar and a tiled floor.
For full details see report (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 29 April 1981.
Medieval coin found in pointing.
S. Margeson (NCM) 1 May 1981.
1 October 1996. NLA air photography.
Church and earthworks visible.
H. Clare (NLA), 23 October 2001.
- CHURCH (Late Saxon to 21st Century - 851 AD to 2100 AD)
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FLOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SITE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Undated)
- ROOF TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOKEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF7226 F-L,AB,AM-AP,AT-AV. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TF 7226AY - ABB. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 72 NW 3 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 338-339. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Flitcham-cum-Appleton. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Photograph: BVS 20 A. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1168565. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1981. Building Report. Building Report. |
Related records - none
Find out more...