|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Talbot House and Church Cottage, Church Plain|
This house may have started out in the late medieval period as a timber framed hall house. The chimney stack was inserted and the hall and the house was extended to the north around 1600. The older part of the house was re-clad in brick and another chimney stack added to the south around 1700. The house was converted into two buildings and the façade was remodelled in the 19th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0529 1107|
|Parish:||MATTISHALL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Remnant of timber framed house, perhaps hall house, with inserted stack and additional bay with gable stack added on north end around 1600. Remainder later clad in brick and third stack inserted, around 1700; 19th century alterations.
See (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 14 November 1997.
- HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 536. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1997. Building Report. Building Report. |
Related records - none
Find out more...