|Type of record:||Building|
This former rectory was built in the late 18th century. The brick building is partly rendered and has 18th century ceilings with geometrical rib patterns inside.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 4005 9304|
|Parish:||GILLINGHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Former rectory. Late 18th century. Brick, part rendered; slate and black glazed pantiles. Two storey and attics, two storey rear wing. Unequal T plan, double pile to south. Six bay facade; doorway offset one bay to east; moulded architrave, pilasters and canopy. Dentilled cornice. Four cambered dormers. Parapet. Parapeted gables. That to east with tumbling and internal stack. West gable with elaborate external stack with corbelled flues and weathered tumbled offsets. Two storey bow window at west end rear pile; semi circular headed openings to ground floor. Two storey hipped rear range with off centre stack. Interior; principal ground floor rooms have 18th century ceilings with geometrical rib patterns. Good classical sitting room fireplace. Plain original staircase.
Information from (S1).
Listed Grade II.
E. Rose (NLA), 2 August 1994.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1994. Sale advertisement. 16 September. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 359. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. |
Related records - none
Find out more...