Record Details

NHER Number:29820
Type of record:Monument
Name:Lower Farm, Lyons Green


A post medieval house, with a north gable wall of flint, with brick diaperwork, which dates to about 1600. The house is situated in the edge of a common shown on Faden's map of 1797.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 9197 1183
Map Sheet:TF91SW

Full description

Farmhouse, set back from road (common edge settlement?)
Aligned north to south, two storeys.
North gable of flint with fine brick diaperwork, which dates to about 1600.
Small square window with brick hoodmould each side of internal stack at first floor level; ground floor hidden.
West facade of three bays with central door, but all rendered and windows of late date.
E. Rose (NLA) 25 June 1993.

The site of Lower Farm is within an area of common shown on (S1). To the south of the house are the remains of medieval tofts, and a medieval settlement is documented on the site from the late 14th century. See NHER 30220 for the site of the settlement.
S. Spooner (NLA) 21 December 2005

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service