Record Details

NHER Number:2932
Type of record:Building
Name:Bintry watermill


This is an 18th century watermill set over a stream, with a 19th century top course. It may stand on the site of an earlier mill dating from 1454. The adjacent miller's house is also 18th century with an additional 19th century top storey. The mill may have been a paper mill for some time. The mill was used in the 1996 BBC adaptation of George Eliot's 'The Mill on the Floss'.


  • Bintry Mill, an 18th century watermill set over a stream.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TF 9990 2426
Map Sheet:TF92SE

Full description

23 November 1978.
Miller's House has southeast gable of chequered brickwork with Georgian doorcase - wall probably early to mid 18th century. Top course 19th century. Showing roof raised when dormers added. Otherwise two bay two storey façade. Mill building itself of later date (contemporary with house roof?) - early 19th century, red brick, four storeys, three bays to southwest; but only two columns of windows to northeast. Corner cut away where road curves round. Set over stream. Windows have rounded heads (except top storey). Dentilled cornice. Bridge in front seems older, but perhaps only because brickwork has been cemented over. Stone block like a cross shaft, but probably only a corner-guard. Still in use.
E. Rose (NAU).

Marked on (S1).
E. Rose (NAU).

And mentioned in 1454 (at least one assumes this from its inclusion on his map of 'North Elmham in 1454' in (S2), although the only reference in the text is a mention in 1636).
E. Rose (NAU).

May once have functioned as papermill (S3).
E. Rose (NAU).

See (S4) on history of mill, which states that its lower two stories are 18th century, only the top floor being 19th century. The article also says that the 1454 mill must, on topographical grounds, have been somewhere in the area, but that the present site is of totally 18th century creation when the mill leat was cut.
E. Rose (NAU), 7 July 1987.

Photos in file.

(S5) and (S6) in file.
E. Rose (NAU).

September 2004.
The mill building has fossil gable tumblehomes faintly visible in the end wall beneath whitewash, confirming that the upper storey is an addition. There is a huge crack at the left hand front corner.
E. Rose (NLA), 27 September 2004.

Monument Types

  • WATERMILL (15th Century to 16th Century - 1454 AD? to 1539 AD?)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • MILL HOUSE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1700 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • PAPER MILL (17th Century to 19th Century - 1700 AD? to 1900 AD?)
  • WATERMILL (17th Century to 21st Century - 1700 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF9924 D-G,H-P.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1986-1997. [Photographs of Bintry watermill]. 7 June.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 394.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Serial: Yaxley, D.. East Anglian Archaeology. East Anglian Archaeology. Vol IX, pt II.
<S3>Article in Serial: Stoker, D. 1976. The Early History of Paper-making in Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVI Pt III pp 241-252. p 251.
<S4>Publication: June 1987. Period Home.
<S5>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S6>Photograph: I & RS. Digital finds image.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service