|Type of record:||Find Spot|
Metal detecting between 1991 and 2017 recovered a late Roman buckle, parts of two Roman brooches, an almost complete Early Saxon small-long brooch, parts of two other Early Saxon brooches and Roman and medieval coins.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 04 12|
|Parish:||MATTISHALL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Early 1991. Found with metal detector. .
Small long brooch, foot missing, break worn smooth. All over worn and battered. Pin lug has been repaired with bronze loop set transversely. Traces of iron pin. No sign of catchplate.
Photographed see (S1).
A. Rogerson (NLA), 13 March 1991.
1992 or before.
Portion of late Roman bronze buckle. Plate has two rectangular openings with three holes at edge. Decorated with dashes, in double lines.
J. Davies (NCM), 17 December 1992.
1992. Metal detecting finds.
Medieval two coins. See list in file.
Roman brooch - lower bow and catch plate of brooch, probably a Hod Hill type. 1st century AD.
Identified J. Davies (NCM).
V. Fryer (NCM), 20 June 1997.
April to May 1994. Metal detecting finds.
Two Roman and one medieval coins. See lists in file.
Knob from Early Saxon cruciform brooch.
Roman brooch fragment, part of bow decorated with incised lines and ring-and-dot. 1st to 2nd century AD.
Identified by J. Davies (NCM).
A. Rogerson (NLA), 3 October 1994.
1996. Metal detecting find.
Early Saxon headplate of small-long brooch, with pelta-shaped flat integral knobs, each with a pair of engraved lines across centre. Headplate has border of pair of engraved lines, and inside stamped decoration (crescents and lines). Stub of lug on reverse.
Identified by S. Margeson (NCM).
H. Geake (NCM).
June-July 2017. Metal-detecting. .
7 medieval coins.
Information from PAS import.
E. McDonald (HES), 5 September 2017
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 650 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BUCKLE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BROOCH (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1207 AD to 1210 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1300 AD to 1300 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1305 AD to 1306 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1305 AD to 1309 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1307 AD to 1309 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1335 AD to 1343 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1351 AD to 1369 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Photograph: FVB 1-4. Small-long brooch. |
|<S2>||Photograph: NCC Find Identification and Recording Service. c. 1975-2000. HES Find Polaroid Collection. HES Find Polaroid Collection. polaroid. black and white. |
Related records - none
Find out more...