Record Details

NHER Number:2769
Type of record:Monument
Name:Deserted medieval settlement of Letton


This is the site of the deserted medieval settlement of Letton, which was mentioned in Domesday Book, but had been abandoned by the 16th century. The earthworks of the village were visible in the landscape park surrounding Letton Hall, see NHER 2775, as were the remains of the medieval parish church of All Saints'. Medieval and post medieval coins and other metalwork have been found on the site by metal detecting.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 97 05
Map Sheet:TF90NE

Full description

Deserted village, earthworks mostly destroyed, including ruins of church.
Mentioned in (S1) and (S2), depopulated by the 16th century.
See (S3).

Medieval strap end found.

Medieval thimble found with metal detecting.

1986 to 1987.
Medieval coins found with metal detecting.

Medieval seal found.

See full details and schedule sheet in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 8 October 1990.

The site of the deserted village includes the remains of the medieval parish church of All Saints'.
The outline of the church can still be seen, although the walls have almost completely disappeared in places, there is no sign of a tower, although the church seems to have had north and south aisles.
None of the surviving remains can be dated with any certainty, but the church was in ruins by the 1560s.
See (S4).
S. Spooner (NLA) 12 September 2005

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • SEAL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • STRAP FITTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • THIMBLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BUCKLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Scheduled Monument

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: NHER TF 9705A-H,N-R,AN,AP.
---Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. DNF451.
---Designation: Coad, V.. 1977. AM7 [Generic Record].
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 90 NE 6 [3].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Cranworth.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
---Designation: Department Of The Environment. 1882-1984?. Department of the Environment Scheduling Notification. Notification. DNF451.
<S1>Publication: Brown, P (ed.). 1984. Domesday Book: Norfolk. Parts 1 and 2.
<S2>Monograph: Nomina Villarum.
<S3>Monograph: Davison, A. 1988. Six Deserted Villages in Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 44. p 47.
<S4>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 122; p 53.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service