Record Details

NHER Number:25754
Type of record:Building
Name:Post medieval icehouse


This unusual icehouse was probably built between 1800 and 1820 and served Ellingham Hall. It is situated on a knoll rather than in a pit. There is an ornamental south façade with a pointed doorway of yellow brick. The dome was formerly earth covered and bears three yew trees.


  • An early 19th century icehouse in the grounds of Ellingham Hall  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TM 3574 9240
Map Sheet:TM39SE

Full description

May 1990. Visit.
Icehouse. Very unusual example. Situated on knoll rather than in pit, immediately adjacent to former carriage drive entrance to park, with no source of ice immediately to hand. Ornamental south façade with pointed doorway of yellow brick, surrounded by flint pebbles and outer hoodmoulded surround of yellow brick backed with red. Six steps
lead up, not down, to chamber, the passage having a pointed barrel vault and levelling out to a pointed wooden door. Egg shaped chamber with hook and vent in roof. Passage and chamber rendered inside. Dome formerly earth covered and bears three yew trees, the only trees in the wood of this species. Served Ellingham Hall. Date probably 1800 to 1820. To be restored. Suggested for spot listing.
See (S1).
E. Rose (NLA), 9 May 1990.

Listed grade II, 8 November 1989

Site Visit October 2012.
The icehouse has undergone some repairs, most significantly to the façade and is generally in good condition. A yew tree continues to grow on top although much of the surrounding earth has gone. The icehouse was partially obscured by ivy at the time of the visit.
K. Powell (HES), 18 March 2015

Monument Types

  • ICEHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: Ellingham Icehouse. Print.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Photograph: FFX 30.

Related records

56796Part of: Ellingham Park (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service