Record Details

NHER Number:2432
Type of record:Building
Name:St Andrew's Church, South Runcton


This church was built in 1838 by John Brown of Norwich to replace the Norman church that had fallen into ruin. The chancel arch, although heavily restored, is an original feature. Other features include big pilasters to the west front and between the nave windows. A selection of Iron Age to post medieval pottery sherds were recovered from the churchyard
in 1995.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 6352 0893
Map Sheet:TF60NW

Full description

In ruins in according to 1836 Ordnance Survey, but rebuilt in 1838 by J. Brown.
E. Rose (NAU).

23 March 1995. Potsherds in mole-hills and on base soil in churchyard.
Prehistoric, Iron Age, Roman, Middle Saxon, Late Saxon, medieval, post medieval.
See lists and plan (S1) in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 13 April 1995.

[1] reports a pre-conquest carved stone loose within interior.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 22 February 2000.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
  • POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1904. Hundred of Clackclose. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XIII. pp 192-199.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 666.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Map: Finder's Map..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service