Record Details

NHER Number:24137
Type of record:Monument
Name:Medieval ridge and furrow in the park of Wood Hall


Earthworks of medieval ridge and furrow have been identified. An earthwork survey recorded three separate areas of ridge and furrow totalling around 6 hectares. All three areas are aligned north to south following the natural slope.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 627 972
Map Sheet:TL69NW

Full description

Ridge and furrow.
See Fenland overlay.
Information from R. Silvester (NAU).
E. Rose (NAU), 13 November 1987.

Whole area of ridge and furrow under good pasture, grazed by sheep.
H. Paterson (A&E) 11 June 1996.

1997. Earthwork Survey.
Medieval ridge and furrow has been identified. The survey recorded three separate areas which constitute the best remaining portions totalling around 6 hectares. All three areas are aligned north to south following the natural slope, with varying widths of ridges, and with the southern most area having a scarp as its likely northern headland bank.
See report (S1) for plan and further details. This site was included in (S2) and the survey is also noted in (S3).
B. Cushion (NLA) April 1997. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 23 March 2015.

Monument Types

  • ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
  • RIDGE AND FURROW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DRAINAGE DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---*Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. FENS.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Report: Cushion, B. 1997. Hilgay SMR24137. Earthwork Survey Report.
<S2>Monograph: Cushion, B. and Davison, A. 2003. Earthworks of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 104. p 201.
<S3>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 1998. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1997. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt I pp 193-210. p 199.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service