Record Details

NHER Number:22700
Type of record:Building
Name:Pear Tree Cottage and Compton


This medieval/post medieval house has been divided into two properties. It was built in the late medieval or early post medieval period as a hall house. During the 17th century an upper floor and chimneystack were inserted. During the 18th or 19th centuries an extension was added to the north.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 0045 8125
Map Sheet:TM08SW

Full description

Nos 1 to 3, Hopton Street

Long thatched house, mostly hidden inside but apparently once a single space open hall, or with one partition, floored over to form standard three cell house in 17th century. Divided and extended north in 18th/19th century.
See reports (S1) to (S3) in file.
E. Rose (NAU/NLA), 26 June 1986, 30 September 1988 & 6 February 1997.

May 2011. Planning Applications.
Two applications for the reconstruction of fire damaged roof & other sections of dwelling house & alterations to existing extension roof also associated repairs to main building & extension to rear. These applications apply to both Paer Tree and Compton Cottage.
See (S4).
Z. Dack (HES), 15 June 2011.

Monument Types

  • HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1986. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1997. Building Notes.
<S4>Unpublished Document: 2011. Planning Application.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service