|Type of record:||Find Spot|
Fieldwalking in 1984 and 1987 recovered prehistoric worked flints; Roman and medieval pottery sherds and Roman tile and roof tile fragments. Metal-detecting in 2012 recovered a knob from an Early Saxon florid cruciform brooch.
|Grid Reference:||TF 71 06|
|Parish:||BARTON BENDISH, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
31 May 1984. 50m sq of field in very poor conditions, BB 200.
1 Oxfordshire colour coated, 2 colour coated Roman, 4 Roman coarseware, 1 medieval bowl rim, 1 flint scraper.
Identified A. Rogerson (NAU)
E. Rose (NAU) 22 January 1985
3 March 1987. Further fieldwork. BB647 to 650. Contexts 2 to 5 and BB200 redone.
Roman sherds and tile including Imbrex, medieval sherds including Grimston, flints.
See list and plot in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 20 August 1987.
Before 8 October 2012. Metal-detecting. .
Knob from an Early Saxon florid cruciform brooch.
Information from PAS import.
A. Beckham (HES), 12 March 2013.
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 650 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BROOCH (Early Saxon - 525 AD to 575 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||*Fieldwork: Fransham Survey. BB200. AJGR. |
|---||*Fieldwork: Fransham Survey. BB647. AJGR. |
|---||*Fieldwork: Fransham Survey. BB648. AJGR. |
|---||*Fieldwork: Fransham Survey. BB649. AJGR. |
|---||*Fieldwork: Fransham Survey. BB650. AJGR. |
|---||Photograph: I & RS. Digital finds image. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
Related records - none
Find out more...