Record Details

NHER Number:19581
Type of record:Building
Name:Manor Farm, Church Street


A post medieval timber framed farmhouse. The surviving sections of the timber frame date to the late 16th century. Much of it has been replaced by later brickwork. The building has two storeys, an early 17th century chimney stack and an 18th or 19th century roof.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8863 1762
Map Sheet:TF81NE

Full description

February 1984. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Farmhouse. Late 16th century timber frame, replaced in brick on ground floor and rear. Wide chamfered stepped stopped beams and chamfered joists. Two storeys, four bays, chamfered mullioned windows. South gable end probably an early 17th century stack addition in English bond. Also an off centre stack. 18th/19th century roof.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 24 October 1983.

Fallen plaster on façade at south end of upper storey revealed large studs, wattle and daub infill, but replaced in brick below window, covered with later laths. Large midwall rail, perhaps a bressumer to an underbuilt jetty as lower brick portion of wall projects slightly. 'Pilaster' at south corner on same level as upper part of façade, recessed from brickwork.
E. Rose (NAU), 29 July 1986.

Press cutting (S2) in file.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1169181.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. Listed property with the scope for personal touch. 29 April.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service