|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Excavated remains of Duke's Palace, Duke Street|
This site was excavated in 1974 in advance of an extension to the multi-storey car park here being undertaken by Norwich City Corporation. The first build of the Palace dated to the 16th century and the second build was completed in 1672. The excavations discovered the massive brick and flint foundations, some of which were supported on timber piles. The Palace was demolished in 1711 and 19th century building work destroyed any of the remains left that survived this process.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2296 0879|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
1974. Excavation by  for Norwich Survey of the Palace of the Dukes of Norfolk. Also Norwich Survey excavation in advance of extension to multi-storey car park by Norwich City Corporation.
Pre-15th century; marsh with some 11th-16th century material.
16th century; first building. 1672 second building foundations of 17th century Dukes of Norfolk palace found in limited area excavation massive brick and flint foundations some supported on timber piles.
Little extant of main palace destroyed by 19th century building.
1975. After dig.
Development and excavation, no finds.
Accession no. for excavation 648.975.
W. Milligan (NCM).
- INN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PALACE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WORKHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Publication: 1974. Archaeol.Ex.. p.102. p 102. |
|---||Serial: 1974. Council for British Archaeology Group 7 Bulletin of Archaeological Discoveries for 1974. No 21. p 7. |
|---||Article in Serial: Roberts, J. P., Donaldson, P., Cleary, E. and Dunmore, S. L. 1975. Excavations in Norwich - 1974. The Nowich Survey - Fourth Interim Report. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVI Pt II pp 99-110. pp 100-101. |
|---||Article in Serial: Cherry, J. 1975. Post-Medieval Britain in 1974. Post-Medieval Archaeology. Vol 9 pp 240-260. p 248. |
|---||Monograph: Jennings, S. 1981. Eighteen Centuries of Pottery from Norwich. East Anglian Archaeology. No 13. |
|---||Record Card: NCM Staff. 1973-1989. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card - Norwich. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|---||Unpublished Document: Roberts, J. P. 1975. [Norwich Survey] Excavations in Norwich 1974. |
|37652||Parent of: Excavated remains of Duke's Palace and bowling alley beneath Duke Street Car Park (Monument)|
|463||Part of: Site of the Palace of the Duke of Norfolk (Monument)|
Find out more...