|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of post medieval smock mill and tower mill, Mill Street|
This windmill is marked on Bryant's map of Norfolk made in 1826. The smock mill is first recorded in documents in 1826 and was replaced by a tower mill in 1862. The tower mill was last used in 1906. The base of the tower with a corrugated iron roof remained in 1980.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0542 1085|
|Parish:||MATTISHALL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Site of wind mill.
Marked on (S1) but not on (S2).
(S3) seems to indicate building still there then, but now apparently demolished.
E. Rose (NAU), 26 March 1980.
In fact a roofed two-storey stump remains. Marked on (S4).
Replaced by tower mill 1862. Last used 1908.
E. Rose (NAU), 22 March 1982.
(S5) records as a smock mill first recorded in 1826.
M. Dennis (NLA) 15 June 2006.
- SMOCK MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TOWER MILL (19th Century to Early 20th Century - 1862 AD to 1906 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S2>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S3>||Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map.. |
|<S4>||Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
|<S5>||Website: Neville, J.. 2004. Mattishall Mill Street towermill. http://www.norfolkmills.co.uk/Windmills/mattishall-mill-st-towermill.html. 31 May 2017. |
Related records - none
Find out more...