Record Details

NHER Number:15269
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post medieval post mill and tower mill, Mill Road


A windmill is marked here on Faden's map of Norfolk made in 1797. This post mill was replaced by a tower mill in 1858. The tower mill was mostly dismantled in 1890, although a two storey 'stump' was left and could be seen in 1980.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 043 115
Map Sheet:TG01SW

Full description

Site of wind mill.
Marked on (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 11 September 1979.

Siting made more accurate from (S2).
(S3) seems to indicate building still there then, but nothing noticed when area visited.
[1] notes that a roofed two-storey stump remains.
Originally a post mill, replaced by tower mill 1858.
Last advertised in 1890.
E. Rose (NAU), 22 March 1982.

Monument Types

  • POST MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TOWER MILL (19th Century - 1853 AD to 1890 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Website: Neville, J.. 2004. Mattishall Mill Road postmill. 31 May 2017.
---Website: Neville, J.. 2004. Mattishall Mill Road towermill. 31 May 2017.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
<S3>Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service