Record Details

NHER Number:15095
Type of record:Building
Name:Toft Monks (Detached) Drainage Mill, Haddiscoe Island


This post medieval drainage mill has a brick tower and a 20th century cap. This, or a predecessor, is marked on Faden's map of 1797. A late 19th century steam pump stood in a small building near the mill. The remains of the engine are still in situ.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 4481 0092
Map Sheet:TG40SW

Full description

Toft Monks (Detached) Windpump
Disused drainage windpump.

September 1960. Listed, Grade II.
Listing description:
Disused drainage windpump. Red brick battered tower. Circular on plan, 4 storeys. Renewed pivot windows with cross glazing bars in segmental headed openings. Segmental headed half-glazed door on east side. Iron band around tower at first floor level. C20 replica cap not of special interest.
Information from (S1).
H. Mellor (HES), 22 April 2016.

July 1979. Visit.
Brick tapering tower bound with iron; short vertical top stage with cogs for moveable cap remaining, though cap gone. Traces of scoop wheel. Doors and windows have been repaired.
E. Rose (NAU), 26 July 1979.

Marked on Ordnance Survey 1:50,000 map (S2) as working.
(S3) shows four patent sail stocks remaining and notes all machinery inside including 1.93m (76in) pit wheel; interior now inaccessible. Remains of a large petrol engine on east.
Drainage mill on this site marked on (S4).

This must be the site described in (S5) as Raveningham in which case the 'large petrol engine' was in fact a steam pump of 1880 to 1885 with vertical boiler and turbine, and a Smithdale Humpback. A locomotive boiler later replaced the vertical boiler.
Windpump converted to house 1980 and steam machinery destroyed.
E. Rose (NAU), 26 January 2001.

August 2005. Building Survey.
Condition survey undertaken as part of Broadland Flood Alleviation Project.
See report (S6) for further details.
E. Rose (NLA), 6 September 2005. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 10 March 2015.

Mid 2005. Very slow conversion to house still under way.
Shafting and gearing strewn round site together with building materials. New cap added. Remains of Humpback still in situ. Information from member of the public [1].
E. Rose (NLA), 8 September 2005.

Reconstruction by William T. England in early 20th century.
See (S7).
E. Rose (NLA), 29 November 2005.

Monument Types

  • DRAINAGE MILL (18th Century to 21st Century - 1780 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • STEAM PUMP (19th Century to 21st Century - 1860 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TG 4400A - D.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 263.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1050525.
<S2>Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey 1:50,000 map.
<S3>Monograph: Smith, A.C.. 1977. Drainage Windmills of Norfolk Marshes.. No 1.
<S4>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S5>Article in Serial: Ward, A.. 2000. Smoke Drifting Over the Reeds.. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Journal. Vol 6, No 5. p 88ff.
<S6>Unpublished Report: Philpot, M. and Merrick, D. 2005. Built Heritage Condition Survey Report - BHCSR01. Toft Monks Mill. Built Heritage Condition Survey Report.
<S7>Article in Serial: Allard, P.. 2005. William T. England, Yarmouth Millwright. Yarmouth Archaeology. p 22.

Related records

MNO2251Related to: Toft Monks Windpump Chedgrave Marshes HADDISCOE (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service