Record Details

NHER Number:14497
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of medieval ridge and furrow and post medieval brick kiln


Earthworks of medieval ridge and furrow can be seen on aerial photographs taken in the 1970s. The site has since been ploughed and the ridge and furrow now appear as parchmarks. This is also the site of a post medieval brick kiln marked on Faden's map of Norfolk made in 1797.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 619 970
Map Sheet:TL69NW

Full description

22 June 1975. Ordnance Survey air photography.
Earthworks. Ridge and furrow.
D. Voisey (NLA), 2 March 1995.

Context 2 at approximately 616 970.
Site of brick kiln, marked on (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 1980.

Ridge and furrow all over field.
Information from R. Silvester (NAU) - see Fenland overlay.
E. Rose (NAU), 13 November 1987.

Undated NAU air photography.

28 February 1991.
Ridge and furrow to south and east of Lodge Farm obliterated by ploughing. A small area around Lodge Farm still under pasture but ploughed recently and nothing of ridge and furrow visible here either. East to west ditch and sinuous ?track survive as earthworks.
See file.
D. Gurney (NLA), 28 February 1991.

22 July 1993. NLA air photography.
Images of Lodge Farm.
Faint traces of linear parchmarks, possibly ploughed out ridge and furrow.
M. Brennand (NLA), 7 February 2001.

Monument Types

  • RIDGE AND FURROW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BRICK KILN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TL6197 A,L-N,W-Z.
---Aerial Photograph: OS 75-269-207.
---Aerial Photograph: OS 75-269-208.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service