Record Details

NHER Number:14008
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of 18th century barn in garden of 47 Wellgate

Summary

Wall footings of an 18th century barn marked on the 1838 Mattishall Tithe map were found.
Animal bones, shells, 19th century bronze pot and prehistoric worked flints were also recovered. The flints include a Beaker period barbed and tanged arrowhead and a Neolithic retouched flake.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0450 1092
Map Sheet:TG01SW
Parish:MATTISHALL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Wall footings uncovered in garden of new bungalow - itself built on site of pond!
Bricks set on end, two courses wide (around 0.5m), at least several courses deep (bottom not found).
Running north to south with west extension at south.
Bricks seem 18th century.
Animal bones, shells, 19th century bronze pot found.
Apparently one of two barns marked on (S1) as belonging to Osborns Farm, owner then P. Tooley.
E. Rose (NAU), 22 September 1978.

1982. Found in gardening at above address.
One barbed and tanged arrowhead.
One large flake, well retouched, probably late Neolithic.
One small flake, resembling burin but probably fortuitously broken serrated flake.
Identified by F. Healy (NAU) and E. Rose (NAU), 9 August 1982.
E. Rose (NAU), 9 August 1982.

Monument Types

  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • BURIN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • RETOUCHED FLAKE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • BARBED AND TANGED ARROWHEAD (Beaker - 2300 BC to 1700 BC)
  • ANIMAL REMAINS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • MOLLUSCA REMAINS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Map: 1838. Mattishall Tithe Map.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service