|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Rookery Farmhouse (The Grove)|
The flint and brick remains of Rookery Farmhouse (also known as The Grove) survive amongst modern barns. They were part of a large late 16th to mid 18th century house that was demolished in the 1930s or 1940s. Cavities in the walls were seen during the demolition and these may have been hiding places for contraband.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2808 3786|
|Parish:||GIMINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
(S1) refers to 'Rookery Farm near Cromer' as having a priest's hole entered from kitchen chimney.
December 1985. Visit.
J. Lodey (NAU) notes press cutting about 1920 to 1930 referring to Rookery Farm at Gimingham as having smugglers hiding places under the lawn. Farmworkers at barns now on site at grid reference state that building marked on 6 inch Ordnance Survey (S2) as The Grove was originally called Rookery Farm. It was a large mansion demolished either in late 1930s or 1940s, when they personally found several large cavities made in walls, between floors etc. supposed to be hiding places for contraband.
As boys they were told that this was landed at Hedges Chute on the Trimingham/Sidestrand boundary and taken by back tracks via Clapham Dams to this house for dry contradband - barrels were put under Gimingham mill bridge.
The last occupant of the house in 1928 was a retired vicar which perhaps explains why he thought they were priests' holes.
Only a fragment of the house now remains amongst modern barns. Good quality flintwork with brick details and a large blocked window. Could be any date from late 16th to mid 18th century.
At demolition the name 'The Grove' was transferred to what 6 inch Ordnance Survey (S2) marks as Home Farm (NHER 25393) to the southeast.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 December 1985.
- HOUSE (16th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1560 AD to 1949 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Unpublished Document: Yardley, C. J. 2011. The Mun Valley: Historic landscape Assessment and Landscape Character Assessment for Norfolk Coast Project. p 13. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Fea, A.. c.1900. Secret Chambers and Hiding Places.. |
|<S2>||Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...