Record Details

NHER Number:13157
Type of record:Building
Name:Royal Observer Corps post


This Royal Observer Corps lookout post was set up in March 1962 and was closed in September 1991. The concrete Orlit post was used to provide accommodation for observers who would watch for enemy plane movements.


  • 'Honingham' Royal Observer Corp post  © Jim Whiteside


Grid Reference:TG 0923 1019
Map Sheet:TG01SE

Full description

1 February 1978. Visit.
Royal Observer Corps lookout post, set up March 1962, closed September 1991. With Orlit post. Intact externally, interior not seen. See (S1).
E. Rose (NLA), July 2000.

18 June 2010.
Noted in passing. Site has been cleared. Concrete room on legs no longer extant. Digital photos taken.
D. Gurney (NLA), 28 June 2010.

May 2011. Photographic survey .
Site still much as described above. Metal access hatch locked.
R. Hoggett (HES), 22 January 2013.

Monument Types

  • ORLIT POST (Mid 20th Century to Late 20th Century - 1962 AD to 1991 AD)
  • ROYAL OBSERVER CORPS SITE (Mid 20th Century to Late 20th Century - 1962 AD to 1991 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Article in Serial: Catford, N.. 1999. ROC Underground Posts in Norfolk.. NIAS Journal. Vol 6, No 4. pp 59ff.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service