Record Details

NHER Number:13022
Type of record:Building
Name:Rookery Farm


This late 17th/early 18th century farmhouse was much enlarged in 1800 using reused carved stone. This stone may have come originally from St Mary's Church (NHER 4200) but was later used in Dunham Old Hall (NHER 13726) before being brought here. Alternatively it may have come from Castle Acre Priory (NHER 4096). There is also a piggery, a folly and other outbuildings constructed of similar ornate stone fragments.


  • The 19th century piggery at Rookery Farm has reused Norman stonework incorporated into the walls  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • Some of the high quality Norman stonework incorporated into the piggery at Rookery Farm  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • The facade of Rookery Farmhouse, a 17th or 18th century house that was enlarged in about 1800  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TF 8732 1423
Map Sheet:TF81SE

Full description

Late 17th/early 18th century farmhouse much enlarged in 1800 utilising reused carved stone from St Mary's Church (NHER 4200) formerly used to build Dunham Old Hall (NHER 13726). Piggery constructed of ornate stone fragments of same provenance, which also occurs in other buildings and a folly.
See (S1-2).
E. Rose (NLA), 19 August 1994.

S. Heslop (UEA) suggests the reused stone comes from Castle Acre Priory.
E. Rose (NLA), 5 May 2000.

October 2011. Historic Building Recording.
A survey of the farm was undertaken prior to conversion of the redundant agricultural buildings to a residential dwelling.
See pro forma report (S3) for plans and photographic survey.
S. Howard (HES), 21 November 2011.

Monument Types

  • ANIMAL HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • FARMHOUSE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
  • FOLLY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • PIGGERY (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, B. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 365.
---Website: Jil Franklin. 2011. Corpus of Romanesque Sculpture in Britain and Ireland.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1994. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Photograph: Rose, E. (NLA). 1994. EAC 23 to 31. Reused limestone fragments at Rookery Farm, Great Dunham.
<S3>Unpublished Report: Clarke, N. 2011. Historic Building Recording Pro Forma Report. Rookery Farm. Historic Building Recording.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service