Record Details

NHER Number:12035
Type of record:Building
Name:Cross Keys Inn, No 13 Market Place


Cross Keys is a half-timbered building with a small jettied first floor, part of which has been swallowed by the later rear building. Some of the internal timbers date to around 1530, and may have been brought in or survived the fire of 1615.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 1107 0143
Map Sheet:TG10SW

Full description

16th century timber framed with projecting upper storey. Moulded beam-ends.
Information from Listing (S1).

13 February 1980. Visited by E. Rose (NAU).
Upper storey only very slightly jettied and slopes down towards the west. The ground slopes up in that direction. Ground floor all modern on exterior except at extreme east end where a section of brickwork, apparently 17th century, remains above a large sloping mass of brickwork serving as a kerb.

Revised 1994 listing (S1) states; extensive 16th century timbering ground floor east, but mainly early 17th century. Jetty bressumer has roll and keel mouldings; west portion covered, may be 20th century imitation. Internal east gable stack. This has large open fireplace with multiple roll and hollow moulded 16th century bressumer; similar rollmouldings to bridging and spine beams. First floor with very large expanded principal studs of 16th century type. One arched brace to tiebeam, in centre from room. Room of two tiers butt purlins and collars.

Monument Types

  • INN (Medieval to Modern - 1530 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval to Modern - 1530 AD? to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 799.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service