|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of St Michael's Church, Poringland|
St Michael's medieval church stood here until its demolition in about 1540. The site is now a stackyard, and it is far from obvious that there was ever a church here.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2626 0102|
|Parish:||PORINGLAND, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
26 October 1977. Site visit by E. Rose (NAU).
Site of St Michael's Church, West Poringland, demolished in about 1540.
In Blomefield's time the walls stood 7ft high (S1). The site is now a stackyard, and the present tenant of the farm did not even know of its existence.
Appropriate section from reference (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NAU).
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1901. Hundred of Henstead. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol VII. pp 58-59. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 SE 6. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Poringland. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1806. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol V. pp 444-445. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 205; p 54. |
Related records - none
Find out more...