|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Mary's Church, Great Melton|
A 15th century tower is all that survives of the medieval church of St Mary's. It stands in the same churchyard as All Saints' Church (NHER 9269). The two churches were independent until they were consolidated in the early 18th century. After the consolidation St Mary's was used as the principal church. In the late 19th century St Mary's was seen as too small for the parish's needs. All Saints' was restored and all of St Mary's apart from the tower was demolished.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1404 0612|
|Parish:||GREAT MELTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Ruined tower of St Mary's Church (S1).
Contains Roman tiles in windowsplays.
R. R. Clarke (NCM)
E. Rose (NAU).
Tower correctly dated to 1440 in (S2). But apparent confusion with All Saints' (as in (S3)).
(S2) says All Saints dilapidated 1714 - this probably refers to St Mary's.
E. Rose (NAU).
(S2) does refer to All Saints' being dilapidated, see NHER 9269.
E. Rose (NAU).
Press cuttings (S4) see file.
Appropriate section from (S5) in file.
Located in same churchyard as All Saints' (NHER 9269). St Mary's and All Saints' were consolidated after 1728. All Saints' was allowed to fall into disrepair. St Mary's remained in use until towards the end of the 19th century when it was seen as too small. All Saints' was restored and St Mary's was demolished. St Mary's was last in regular use in 1883.
Information from (S5).
Tower is flint with brick and stone dressings.
Information from (S5) and (S6).
D. Robertson (NLA), 18 January 2006.
Following an application for a grant to restore the tower of St Mary's church, English Heritage's Designation Department has assessed this structure and revised the listing from Grade II to Grade II*.
See (S7) for further information.
A. Cattermole (HES), 24 May 2011.
- CHURCH (14th Century to 19th Century - 1400 AD to 1883 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG1406 A-J. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1995. TG1306/V. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 10 NW 9 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Illustration: Ladbrooke. 1822. [unknown]. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 368. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Melton (Great). |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map.. |
|<S2>||Serial: 1819. Excursions through Norfolk. |
|<S3>||Directory: White, W.. 1845. White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. [Illustration of St Mary's Church and All Saints' Church, Great Melton]. 14 March. |
|<S5>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 99; p 52. |
|<S6>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1050732. |
|<S7>||Unpublished Document: English Heritage. 2011. English Heritage Advice Report. Remains of Church of St Mary.. May. |
|MNO2606||Related to: Remains of Church of St. Mary Market Lane GREAT MELTON (Revoked)|
Find out more...