|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||All Saints' Church, Rockland All Saints and St Andrew|
The oldest part of this church is the nave, which is Saxo-Norman in date, though much repaired. The rest of the building is 13th century, altered in the 14th and 15th centuries and then subject to a restoration in 1860. Inside in the chancel is a Saxon stone coffin slab, discovered in two pieces during the 1860 restoration. Another slab set in the porch floor and a further one nearby in the graveyard are probably the same age. There are two fonts, one possibly Norman, the other of 1880 in a good imitation of 15th century style. Some of the benches have medieval poppyheads. Other features include an old chest with three locks, an early 19th century tower screen, two 18th century floor tombs and a Royal Arms of Queen Victoria. In the neatly-kept graveyard are good 18th and 19th century headstones and an 18th century table tomb.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 9944 9601|
|Parish:||ROCKLANDS, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
July 1958. Grade I listed.
Parish church of various dates from the 11th-15th centuries, restored in 1860.The church is flint with ashlar quoins and slate roofs and consists of a west tower, nave, and chancel. The tower is late 13th century in 3 stages, with a stair turret to the south through the first stage. The west door is double chamfered and blocked. There are single trefoil and cinquefoil lights to the second stage under square hood moulds and 2-light cusped belfry windows supporting a quatrefoil of early 14th century date. The nave, with long and short quoins to each corner and some flintwork in herringbone courses, is probably all late 11th century. The church has no buttresses. The gabled porch with knapped flint and parapet dates from the 13th century and has a narrow chamfered door and arch under a hood with labels. There is a cinquefoil niche above with an ovolo hood. One cinquefoil lancet to the west of the porch under a hollow hood on beak stops, one 3-light 15th century window to east with flat top. The south chancel has a 2-light cusped window supporting-encircled petal with hood, dating to 1860, a plain arched priest's door, 2-light window the same as the nave, a reset early 14th century punched quatrefoil, and a 3-light east window under hood.
The interior of the church displays a tall tower arch and 12 15th century poppy heads on 19th century bench ends.The bowl of the square Norman font remains. An Anglo-Saxon tomb slab with 2 Alisee patee crosses connected by staff with 4 interlace incised panels between is also visible. The font is octagonal and dates from 1880 with carved panels. The roofs were panelled in 1860.
Information from (S4).
H. White, (NLA), 29 September 2009
Saxo-Norman nave; remainder 13th century; altered 14th and 15th, restored 1860. ?10th century interlace graveslab and two plain slabs.
School of 1831 in yard.
For full report (S1), photogaphs (S2) and references see file.
E. Rose (NAU), 16 December 1982.
April 2000. Bell and bellframe survey.
The square west tower has five bells. The iron frame was installed in1904-1905. The tenor bell has small capitals of Type J which have been associated to a Norfolk founder working in the 14th century (see (S3) for details). It is a rare and important bell, originally cast for Rocklands All Saint's church. Of the further four bells, one dates to 1586 and the remaining three are all of twentieth-century date.
See (S4) for further details
H. White, (NLA), 29 September 2009
- CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SCHOOL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COFFIN (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FONT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TL9995C, TL9996G, H, F. |
|---||Monograph: Page, W. (ed.). 1906. The Victoria History of Norfolk. The Victoria History of the Counties of England. Vol 2. |
|---||Serial: Cautley, H.M.. Norfolk Churches.. p 236. |
|---||Unpublished Document: Cattermole, P.. 2000. Inventory of church bells and bell-frames in Norfolk. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TL 99 NE 8 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Illustration: Ladbrooke. [unknown]. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 615. |
|---||Leaflet: Cotton, S. & Tricker, R.. All Saints, Saint Peter's, Rockland.. |
|---||Leaflet: Simon Cotton & Roy Tricker. All Saints, Saint Peter's, Rockand.. |
|---||Publication: Taylor, H. M. and Taylor, J. 1965. Anglo-Saxon Architecture. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Late Saxon. Rocklands. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NAU). 1981. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S2>||Photograph: CCF12-17, CCJ, old photos CCH8, 10. |
|<S3>||Publication: Cattermole, P. 1990. Church Bells and Bell-ringing: a Norfolk Profile. p 165. |
|<S4>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1248382. |
Related records - none
Find out more...