|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Mary's Church, Whinburgh|
St Mary's Church was all built around 1300, though some traces of older work do survive. The chancel was mostly rebuilt in 1889, although there is one suriving 16th century window and some 17th/18th century woodwork. In 2011, Roman ceramic tiles and blocks of opus signinum were observed to have been incorporated into the fabric of the nave in various locations.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0062 0892|
|Parish:||WHINBURGH AND WESTFIELD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
All of around 1300, with some traces of older work, except chancel mostly rebuilt 1889. One 16th century window and 17th/18th century woodwork. Redundant.
See (S1) and (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 27 April 1984.
May 1960. Listed, Grade I.
Redundant parish church. Medieval and later. Flint with ashlar and some brick dressings. Lead and plaintile roofs. Tower porch to south; aisle- less nave and chancel. Late 13th century tower with angle buttresses. Moulded entrance arch on triple shaft responds with polygonal capitals. Carved heraldic shield above with a cusped statue niche. 3 flat-headed loops to first floor. Bell stage with 2 2-light Y- and plate-traceried openings to east and west, a cusped and Y-traceried opening to south with blocked spandrel and a plain lancet to north. Shallow pitched roof without a parapet. West wall of nave has a 5-light Y-traceried window with cusping, 6 quatrefoils and one cinquefoil: a 19th century restoration-in original opening. South wall of nave has one cusped Y-traceried 2-light window with cusped spandrel light and a 3-light late-Medieval panel-traceried window without cusping. North wall with 2 2-light Y-traceried windows: with cusping to east and plate-traceried to west. North and south doorways each of 2 wave-moulded orders. Finely carved label stops to all nave openings. Largely rebuilt chancel with one modern 3-light east window in Geometric style, and to south 2 2-light cusped Y-traceried windows of which the westernmost is original. Priest's door to north. Interior. Plain chamfered chancel arch without responds. Nave piscina with cusped ogee arch. Surviving rood stair to north. Original scissor-braced nave roof of 32 trusses. The top third of the roof has been removed and replaced by a shallow pitched boarded arrangement just above the collars. Tall ashlaring on a moulded wall plate. Early 14th century font with a plain circular bowl on a moulded octagonal shaft.
Information from (S3).
1970s or 80s. Alan Carter Norwich Survey.
See (S4), which includes (S5).
T. E. Miller (NLA), 2006.
6 February 2011. Casual observation.
Romano-British tiles and opus signinum noted in the fabric of the church.
See note in file.
A. Rogerson (HES), 7 February 2011.
- CHAPEL (13th Century to 21st Century - 1300 AD? to 2100 AD)
- CHURCH (13th Century to 21st Century - 1300 AD? to 2100 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG0008A-E. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Illustration: Ladbrooke. c.1830. [unknown]. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 774-775. |
|---||Leaflet: Ron Taylor. 1990. The Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Whinburgh. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1990. Restoration costs spiral. 16 November. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1992. Repairs to church 'kept faith'. 29 June. |
|---||Correspondence: English Heritage. 2014. Minor amendment notification e-mail from English Heritage. Listed Building Entry 1152030, Church of St Mary, Whinburgh.. 12/09/2014. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1984. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1989. Grants for historic churches. 19 September. |
|<S3>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1152030. |
|<S4>||Unpublished Document: Carter, A.. Building Survey. |
|<S5>||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
Related records - none
Find out more...