Record Details

NHER Number:8852
Type of record:Monument
Name:Manor Yards medieval moated enclosure and medieval to post-medieval finds


This is the site of a medieval moated enclosure which has a central square enclosure which shows the soilmarks of square buildings inside. The outer enclosures are now infilled, but the central moat is waterfilled and there are mounds to the north and enclosures at the east. Medieval pottery sherds have been recovered from the area. Metal-detecting at this site in late 2012 recovered a single medieval coin.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 00 09
Map Sheet:TG00NW

Full description

May 1973.
Surveyed during MPBW funded rapid moat survey.
See sketch plan in file.
J. Allen (NLA), 15 August 2001.

Moat; wet central square enclosure marked on 6 inch Ordnance Survey map with outer enclosures now infilled. Ordnance Survey aerial photograph shows soilmarks of square buildings inside central enclosure.
E. Rose (NAU), 2 November 1979.

The central moat is waterfilled, wide but average depth ditches; island previously cropped, now abandoned;
Apparent mounds on north side (seen only from distance). East enclosures marked by Ordnance Survey as east arm, traces of north and south arms dying into modern roads, and two east to west arms dividing enclosed area. All these ploughed out and visible only as faint rises and cropmarks. Ditches along road have no exceptional features. West of wet moat, area covered by old rectory grounds, with boundary ditch north to south along footpath.
Did the parish church once sit inside outer enclosure?
Visit by E. Rose (NAU), 26 April 1984.

May 1960. Found in digging a ditch somewhere in the rectory grounds (southwest area of site).
Sherds of a 14th century jug including handle.
Information taken from label in case with objects in Whinburgh church - not stated who dated them. Context 1
E. Rose (NAU), 24 August 1988.

On the moat island is an area which has a very heavy scatter of building debris (brick, flint and tile) - presumably the site of the former house. Context 2
OS Records (S1).
R. J. Rickett 13 August 1990.

Moated site around 125-130m square. Ditches up to 5m wide, fringed with mature trees and scrub, one enormous oak to east. Ditches partly wet, with much dead wood and some accumulation of weed. Interior rough grass. This occasionally cut and trees lopped when necessary.
Arable surrounds to north, east and south.
H. Paterson (NLA), 18 March 1998.

23 September 1999. Trial Trench.
Evaluation of site of proposed extension to The Rectory.
The single trench excavated revealed a gully and well.
See report (S2) for further details. The results of this work are also summarised in (S3).
D. Gurney (NLA), 21 August 2000.

October-December 2012. Metal-detecting. [1].
1 medieval coin.
Information from PAS import.
P. Watkins (HES), 1 May 2013.

Monument Types

  • DITCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • GULLY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • COIN (Medieval - 1430 AD to 1434 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: OS AP 73.238.083. Unit TG0009 E-F,G-J,T-AA; TG0008 A-E.
---Illustration: Rogerson, A. and Mauser, J.. 1973. Rapid Moat Survey Sketch Plan.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Whinburgh.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 00 NW 1.
<S2>Unpublished Contractor Report: Penn, K. 1999. Report on an Archaeological Evaluation at the Rectory, Church Road, Whinburgh. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 448.
<S3>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 2000. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1999. Norfolk Archaeology. XLIII Pt III pp 521-543. p 541.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service