Record Details

NHER Number:8656
Type of record:Building
Name:SS Peter and Paul's Church, Mautby


A medieval parish church with a 12th century round tower, a 13th century nave and chancel and 14th century alterations. In the 13th century the church had a south aisle where Margaret Paston, one of the authors of the famous Paston letters, was buried. The aisle has since been demolished.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 4806 1237
Map Sheet:TG41SE

Full description

(S1) refers to templar effigy and south aisle in ruins.
Donation to repairs 1374, see (S2).
E. Rose (NAU).

Architects details for re-thatching in file, (S3).

During rethatching in 1991 it was discovered that the chancel had originally had the underside of the thatch plastered, the present ceiling being a later insertion.
E. Rose (NLA) 9 December 1991.

The vanished aisle contained the tombs of Margaret Paston 1484 and her ancestors.
E. Rose (NAU)

A medieval coin previously recorded under this number is now listed as NHER 44504.

(S4) describes as a late 12th century west tower with 14th century belfry. Late 13th century chancel and nave, the former remodelled 14th century retaining original continuous plan. Restored 1884 and 1984. Flint with ashlar dressings and thatched roofs. 2 stage circular tower with 14th century octagonal belfry stage. 2-light reticulated west window. No ringing chamber openings. Set-off below belfry. Alternate facets of belfry pierced by wide trefoiled lights. Crenellated parapet. Gabled south porch with continuous mouldings to entrance arch. Double chamfered north doorway below hood on head stops. 3 restored 2-light Flowing north and south nave windows. One buttress at east end of nave. 2 2-light Y tracery south chancel windows flank priests' door. Doorway with one hollow chamfer and square imposts. One 2-light Y tracery window to north chancel. 5-light intersecting east window.
Interior. Tower arch has wave mouldings and casements and one order of shafts with polygonal capitals. Octagonal font enriched by 8 engaged shafts to stem framing traceried panels. Bowl panels have quatrefoils and shields. Former south aisle revealed by octagonal arcade, the piers on bases with angle spurs and polygonal capitals. Stilted double chamfered arches. Boarded nave roof. Restored 16th century chancel screen comprising 2 bays each side of cusped ogee opening. Traceried dado panels. Panel tracery below 19th century top rail. Founder's tomb in south nave under broken ogee canopy with crockets. Early 14th century effigy is cross-legged and in armour. Stepped sedilia and piscina in chancel, cusped. Chancel roof of principals on curved braces, 2 tiers butt purlins.
Information taken from (S4).
S. Spooner (NLA) 9 May 2006

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG4812B, E.
---Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 609-610.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1999. Historic switch brings church in to the age of electric light. 22 November.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1899. Hundreds of East and West Flegg. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol IV. pp 37-41.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2015. Church is given new lease of life by its new £100,000 extension. 27 February.
<S1>Monograph: Crowmwell, T. and Cotman, J. S. 1818. Excursions through Norfolk.
<S2>Article in Serial: [unknown]. Yarmouth Archaeology. Vol 1, No 5.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Peter Codling Architects. 1988. Specification for re-thatching the south nave and chancel roofs at Mautby St Peter and St Paul.
<S4>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.

Related records

61871Parent of: Medieval to post-medieval burials and multi-period finds (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service