|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Bridgefen drainage windmill, south of Ludham Bridge|
The site of a drainage windmill, built in assocation with Ludham Enclosure 1800 to 1802. The derelict remains were removed in the 1960s.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 3738 1699|
|Parish:||LUDHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of windpump.
Only a mound remains.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU), 16 March 1979.
Marked on (S1). E. Rose (NAU).
This was rebuilt by England and had a scoop wheel. Demolished in about 1940. See (S2).
E. Rose (NAU), 16 September 1981.
Drawing (S3) shows as brick tower mill apparently with Cubbitt's sails.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 September 1983.
Site of a much-photographed brick tower drainage windmill. It was built in 1800-1802 in association with the enclosure of Ludham marshes. It drained land on both north and south sides of Ludham Bridge, although it was supported from circa 1877 by the small mill built to the north of the bridge (NHER 5236) and the addition of a steam engine plant built on a site closer to the bridge, to the north west, during the 1890s. It was still working in the mid 1930s but stood as a derelict brick tower only during the 1940s and 1950s. The remains are believed to have been cleared away in the 1960s.
A. Yardy (HES), 11 August 2011.
- DRAINAGE MILL (18th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1800 AD to 1965 AD?)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: 1981. A Survey of Ludham. Journal of the Norfolk Industrial Archaeological Society. Vol III No 1 pp 34-51. |
|<S3>||Publication: Maxwell. 1925. Unknown Norfolk p.69. 2. |
Related records - none
Find out more...