Record Details

NHER Number:8430
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Woodbastwick Hall


Woodbastwick Hall was situated on the site of an earlier hall that was demolished after being burnt down 1882. Ewan Christian built it in 1889 in an Elizabethan style with off-centre tower and red brick exterior. The Hall contained several fireplaces of about 1725 from Wricklewood, Blackheath, London. The Hall was sadly demolished in 1971 and a fireplace from it now resides in Channonz Hall in Tibenham (NHER 10937).

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 3337 1593
Map Sheet:TG31NW

Full description

On site of an earlier hall demolished after being burnt down 1882.
Built 1889 by Ewan Christian, Elizabethan style with off-centre tower, red brick. Contained several fireplaces of about 1725 from Wricklewood, Blackheath, London (information from (S1)).

In new addition to Merton Hall are two arched stone windows/doorways placed there by present Lord Walsingham 'when Woodbastwick Hall was demolished'. Does this mean the whole hall has gone? There is a fireplace from the hall at Channonz Hall, Tibenham (NHER 10937)
E. Rose (NAU) 30 April 1982.

The earlier hall was itself a rebuild as (S2) state that 'the perfectly new house of John Cator of Woodbastwick was destroyed by fire'. The interior was consumed the walling alone left standing.
E. Rose (NAU) 14 July 1988.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (19th Century to Late 20th Century - 1889 AD to 1971 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 732.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-East Norfolk and Norwich. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 348.
<S2>Publication: Mackie. 1821. Norfolk Annals. 17 February. 2.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service