Record Details

NHER Number:8196
Type of record:Monument
Name:Medieval stone cross fragment


A moss-covered fragment of a 15th century stone cross. It is rectangular in section, with ridges on its faces and corners.


  • Honing Cross, a fragment of a 15th century stone cross  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TG 3181 2868
Map Sheet:TG32NW

Full description

February 1981. Visit.
Cross (marked on Ordnance Survey map). (S1) shows this at crossroads (see NHER 8197). See also (S2).
Fragment about 1m high, slightly tapering, fluted; ridges in centre of each face as well as at the corners. Obviously a section of a larger cross. Set in east side of hedge (footpath now follows this side though officially it runs through field on west). Covered in moss.
E. Rose (NAU), 4 February 1981.

May 1987. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Fragment of 15th century cross shaft. Stone. Tapering rectangular section with keels at corners and in centre of each face.
Park Farmhouse not listed.
Information from (S3).
E. Rose (NAU).

Photograph (S4) in file.

Monument Types

  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 32 NW 1.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Honing.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy B. 1934. Norfolk Crosses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt II pp 297-336. pp 314-315.
<S3>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049986.
<S4>Photograph: BVA11.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service