Record Details

NHER Number:8022
Type of record:Monument
Name:Spixworth Hall Cottages, site of Spixworth Hall


The site of Spixworth Hall, built in the early 17th century and demolished in 1950. A very fine 17th century barn, a possible stable block or granary, a cottage of 17th to 19th century date and a 19th century garden wall are still extant. Some of these buildings contain reused medieval stonework. They have now been renovated as holiday cottages.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2377 1523
Map Sheet:TG21NW

Full description

Site of Spixworth Hall, of medieval origin, latterly 1607 and 1693, demolished in 1950.
Surviving on site are very fine 17th century barn and stables/granary, containing reused medieval stonework which also forms a rockery. Also a cottage of 17th and 19th century date, 19th century garden wall etc.
See full report (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NLA) 22 August 1994.

October 2007. ALSF NHER Enhancement Sub-Unit A.
The Hall stood on the site of a medieval hall that was rebuilt in 1609, 1612 and 1693. The hall was demolished in 1950. The site of the hall is overgrown. A coat of arms from the building was removed to the church.
Courtyard and gatehouse.
Listed as 18th century but may be 19th century. East of the courtyard is a gatehouse that formerly stood in front of the north extension of the hall. The gatehouse has been interpreted as Jacobean, 18th century or Victorian.
A row of early 17th century cottages stands on the north side of courtyard with identical brickwork to the barn These appear to have been a 17th century house, perhaps for a steward, much altered as coachman's accommodation in the 19th century.
The barn is almost certainly contemporary with the hall. reused stonework in the hall is suggested as derived from Horsham St Faith priory or the nearby parish church.
West of the barn and outside the courtyard is a stable or granary. Called a stables in 1977 but listed as the granary. The building could be part of the 1693 alterations to the hall. The rear wing dates from after 1780. it is hard to judge the original use of the main.
Information from (S1).
M. Dennis (NLA), 7 October 2007.

The remaining buildings were converted into holiday cottages in 1997.
The reused pieces of medieval stone may have come from Horsham St Faith Priory (NHER 8005) or Spixworth parish church (NHER 8027).
This complex contains Gaffers Cottage (NHER 46104).
M. Dennis (NLA), 7 October 2007.

October 2009.
A set of hand-carved pine cones made of Ketton stone that originally stood outside Spixworth Hall have been sent to auction. They date from the seventeenth century, and lack the original feet they stood on, but are considered very rare.
See (S2) for further details
H. White, (NLA), 15 October 2009.

See also (S3) which includes a photograph of the hall.
A. Cattermole (HES), 29 March 2011.

Monument Types

  • ROCKERY (Unknown date)
  • WEATHER VANE (Unknown date)
  • FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Medieval to Mid 20th Century - 1066 AD to 1950 AD)
  • SCULPTURE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • BARN (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • STEWARDS HOUSE? (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)
  • SUNDIAL (17th Century to 21st Century - 1630 AD to 2100 AD)
  • GRANARY? (17th Century to 21st Century - 1693 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • STABLE? (17th Century to 21st Century - 1698 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • GATEHOUSE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1700 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • COURTYARD (18th Century to 21st Century - 1780 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • FARM LABOURERS COTTAGE? (18th Century to 21st Century - 1800 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • GARDEN WALL (18th Century to 21st Century - 1800 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-7. Ordnance Survey 25 inch 2nd edition (revised 1902-7).
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 671.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. [Articles on the award for the restoration of Spixworth Hall cottages].
---Website: 2007.
---Unpublished Document: Warnes, R.. 1986. A History of Spixworth and Grange Farm.
---Unpublished Document: Warnes, R.. 1986. Spixworth Hall IN A History of Spixworth and Grange Farm. March.
---Publication: Willins, E.P. (ed. By Thos. Garratt). 1890. Some Old Halls and Manor Houses in the County of Norfolk.. Pl 39.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Spixworth.
---Photograph: EAC 34 to 36. Spixworth Hall stable wing, barn and granary or stables..
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1994. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. Going, going, cone for relics of a stately pile. 13 October.
<S3>Publication: Clarke, D.. 2008. The Country Houses of Norfolk. Part Two: The Lost Houses. pp 85-86.

Related records

46104Parent of: Gaffers Cottage, Church Lane (Building)
24334Parent of: Medieval stonework in former walled garden of Spixworth Hall (Find Spot)
12275Part of: Post medieval icehouse (Monument)
46065Related to: 19th century gate piers and railings, Spixworth Hall, southeast of 200 Buxton Road (Building)
8005Related to: Benedictine Priory of St Faith (Monument)
12274Related to: Post medieval dovecote (Building)
8027Related to: St Peter's Church, Spixworth (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service