Record Details

NHER Number:7855
Type of record:Monument
Name:Drayton Cross


This 14th century village cross was restored in the late 19th century. The shaft is about 2m tall. In the 1730s there was a French inscription on the shaft and faint traces of this may remain.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 1804 1358
Map Sheet:TG11SE

Full description

Reeded shaft about 2m high on stopangled base raised on two steps. 14th century. Restored 1879 with cement. Inscribed 'Vous che prie pur l'ame William de Bellamont. . .Johanne sa Femme. . . paser N. . .Ave Maria. . .depardonna avera'. Faint traces on shaft may be this inscription. An English translation without comment is strangely given on two metal plaques on the base, which reads very oddly. Traces of two other missing plaques.
E. Rose (NAU), 27 April 1978.

(S1) (from 1735) gives drawing of this showing inscription running up shaft.
E. Rose (NAU).

Ancient monument description (S2) in file.

'The socket stone of Barnack is 2 feet 6 inches square' (75cm).
See (S3)
But (S4) says 82.5 (2ft 9in), and restored in 1873.
R. J. Rickett (NAU), 9 February 1990.

Monument Types

  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Scheduled Monument

Sources and further reading

---Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1809. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol X. 375. p 109.
---Designation: Corbishley, M.J.. 1983. AM107.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 448.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Drayton.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Scheduling Notification. Notification. DNF36.
---Designation: English Heritage. 1994? -2011?. English Heritage Digital Designation Record. Record. DNF36.
<S1>Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office.
<S2>Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. DNF36.
<S3>Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 11 SE 6.
<S4>Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy B. 1934. Norfolk Crosses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt II pp 297-336. pp 306-308; Pl 4.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service