Record Details

NHER Number:7702
Type of record:Building
Name:Holy Trinity Church, Great Hautbois, Coltishall


A parish church, built in the late 19th century in the Gothic style, with a 12th century font from St Theobald's, the medieval parish church, and the only surviving example of late 19th century transfer glass in Norfolk.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2652 2031
Map Sheet:TG22SE

Full description

January 1978. Visit.
Gothic Revival of 1864 by Thomas Jekyll, in minimal Early English style.
Contains font from medieval church and chalice, Norwich made, of 1567, but interior not accessible at time of visit.
Also contains the only examples left of transfer glass in Norfolk, dated to about 1880 to 1890.
Earthen mounds and banks on south of churchyard probably garden layout or old gravel pits, and not mentioned under NHER 7679.
See (S1) and (S2).
Visited E. Rose (NAU) 19 January 1978.

Font base listed as 12th century.
E. Rose (NAU).

The original plans for Great Hautbois were for restoration and re-seating of the old round-towered church of St Theobald, but by 1862 these plans had been superseded by a commission to build a new church. However, the new church designed by Jeckyll was built at minimal cost: in total less than £1000 was spent. Both the nave and chancel have barrel-vaulted ceilings, and the chancel ceiling has diamond-pattern ribbing and is painted dark blue with gold stars. Carving is minimal in the interior, with the exception of the corbels on the chancel arch. Jeckyll wished for chairs rather than pews or benches, but the parishioners objected, and at the time of the consecration the old pews from St Theobald's church (NHER 7677) were in use in the new church, and no pulpit, communion table or lectern had yet been provided.
See (S3) for further details.
A. Cattermole (HES), 3 June 2013.

Monument Types

  • FONT (Late Saxon to Medieval - 1050 AD to 1150 AD)
  • BANK (EARTHWORK) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • QUARRY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CHURCH (19th Century to 21st Century - 1864 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1905. Hundred of South Erpingham. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XIV. pp 219-226.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 542.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1050886.
<S2>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-East Norfolk and Norwich. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 161.
<S3>Publication: Weber Soros, S., Arbuthnott, C.. 2003. Thomas Jeckyll: Architect and Designer, 1827-1881. pp 113-115.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service