|Type of record:||Building|
Set in about two acres, this is a two storey red brick farmhouse dating to about 1700, with shaped gables and a five window bay west façade. The rear service wing gives the house an L shaped plan. The central doorway, windows, roof and east chimney stack are all 19th century, as are the dog leg stairs inside. Behind the house, a range of 18th century brick barns has now been converted to housing.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1631 2026|
|Parish:||HAVERINGLAND, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
January 1952. Listed, Grade II.
Of about 1700, red brick, pantile roof. L shaped plan, two storeys and attic, entrance façade to west of five bays delineated by glazed headers, central 19th century porch. Windows 19th century in original openings. Brick plinth and moulded eaves, three curved gables with kneelers and platebands. 19th century east end stack, original east stack to south wing, and offcentre axial stack to east wing. 19th century scallop tiles on west roof slope. Close spaced chamfered beams to attic floor visible in east service wing. 19th century dogleg stairs and roof.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 25 October 1985.
(S2), (S3) and (S4) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 4 February 2005.
Behind the house is a range of brick barns now converted to housing. These are basically of the same date as the house, altered later in the 18th century but before about 1780 (diagonal skintlings) and again in 19th century. One small building has two huge hourglass shaped brick grilles in the south wall.
E.Rose (NLA), 13 January 2003.
- BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 543. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1250080. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1994. Quakers on move. 6 January. |
|<S3>||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|<S4>||Photograph: Unknown. 2004. Building Photograph. |
Related records - none
Find out more...